25 February 2010

Winter in the City

I got out of work early today (in training the last few) and decided to head down town to see what I could capture. It was my first dedicated endeavor like this and I had everything I needed in my handy little back pack I got from Elizabeth. Long story short (too late) I didn't get "the shot". I wouldn't even say I got anything too interesting. I don't know whether it was lighting, as it was an over cast day, or I'm just not a cityscape guy, but I was mildly disappointed by what I got. I may post some pics here when I clean them a little but don't get your hopes up.
One thing today's walkabout did produce was I got to know this city a little better. I went first to the roof of the Sam's Town parking garage and got some city shots then on to Texas Street for some building shots and stopped by the library for some photos for the Mrs. I then drove east to the Music museum. I was a little confused when getting out of my car I saw engraved in the building "Dedicated to the memory of those who fought in the World War". I couldn't figure out which war that were talking about until I realized at the time the building was built there was only one World War. Cool! There was a quote by Woodrow Wilson! on the side as well. Next I took a walk across the street to the old city grave yard and saw graves of C.S.A. solders and infants. There was one section of graves from East European Jewish immigrants from the 1800s. There were other graves all over of people from Germany, Prussia, France, Switzerland. I never new Shreveport had so much immigration back in the 1850s. It was very cool.

I plan on suggesting to Perry (our workshop instructor) we do a class downtown and maybe I can get some inspiration from my fellow shooters.

UPDATED

3 comments:

  1. Cool! I just started a blog myself exactly for the same reason you posted in your first post. I didn't want to put my entire life on Facebook for all my "acquaintances" to see, so I started a blog for the people I'm closest to. I sent Holly the link. Looking forward to seeing your pics. Oh....I love the flag pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey mr blogger!! you are so high tech LOL I can't wait to see all your photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support guys and glad to have you on board. Feel free check back and ask questions as you have them.

    ReplyDelete