28 February 2010

A Night Out on the Town

This post is dedicated to Perry from whom I borrowed the inspiration.


After receiving a kitchen pass last night, I decided to go down town to the Boardwalk in Bossier City and into downtown Shreveport. At our workshop last week Perry was talking about how he wanted to get some nighttime city shots from I-20. I wasn't going to brave the perils of the interstate so I took the safety of the Boardwalk. It's normally a 15-30 min drive to get there but Saturday night traffic was terrible. I guess there were a lot of other kitchen passes as well. Anyway, I was able to get some pretty cool shots from the water's edge (or at least as close as we're allowed to get) and then moved up to the Texas Street Bridge for a birds eye view. Finally I moved over to Shreveport and got some cool "streaming" shots.

I learned several things during my trek. 1) This city (cities) is beautiful at night. 2) I figured out how best to use my settings and especially how to use my manual setting (I have to first go to Aperture priority and set that, then to Shutter and set that. Manual will then use those two settings). 3) Bridges move, A LOT, and getting a "tack sharp" photo on them is not easy. 4)I need to get a remote for my shutter because trying to time traffic 12 seconds out is not fun (10 sec for the timer and 2 for the shot itself). And 5) How to sharpen and contrast cityscapes in Photoshop.


2 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! Some GREAT pictures!!! They look like something out of a magazine! You should sell these! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely amazing! I agree these should be sold!

    ReplyDelete