13 March 2010

The Learning Curve

The problem with having an awesome new camera with all the bells and whistles is that you have to KNOW how to ring the bell and blow the proverbial whistle. My previous experience was more or less point and click with a few adjustments on the fly. Now, I have to decide do I want my wide-angle or telephoto lenses? Use the on-board flash (the ugly maker), the mounted flash, or no flash? And if I use a flash should I use the diffuser and/or angle the mount away? Do I go with the prescribed settings for different scenarios or do I mess with the aperture and shutter speed to get what I want? It's all well and good when I have the time to figure it out but when my subject is running away, or setting (in the case of the Sun), or burning (in the case of the food on my grill!) I don't have the time to figure all of that out and I'm usually not happy with what I get.


Everything I've been reading the last couple of weeks tells me that I just need to practice and get to know my camera (duh). I just wish they had sent a operating manual. All they sent was this 1/2 inch cu...... oh, well this should help.

No comments:

Post a Comment