10 March 2010

Photography Workshop - Portrats

Well week 3 of our workshop came and went.  I've decided I'm not much of a studio guy and not a people person at all.  Needless to say I was less than enthused about my results this week.  We worked on portrats using a white background an impromptu "volunteer" (the daughter of one of our classmates).  The little girl (who's name I never did catch) was cute, though kind not very generous with the smiles, but it wouldn't have mattered if Shirly Temple was sitting there.  I couldn't get the focus right, my lighting was bad meaning I couldn't get the flash to do what I wanted.  Our book said to use a tripod, a focal length of 85-100, and an F-stop of F/11.  I tried all of that and more and it was just not working for me.  Not a great first experence with my new equipment, though I did get to play with some of the features including my remote which was cool.  Here are the best that I got but I don't think they look much better than your standard mom-with-a-point-and-shoot picture.

5 comments:

  1. tell ya what you come back to florida with all taht camera stuff and you can practice till you are a pro with my kids! lol I haven't had pictures taken of them since...well Casey has never had a professional photo done it is all point and shot for this mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours are definitely sharper than mine. I didn't really get any good ones, either. I'm not a fan of the studio-type environment, either. I took over 100 pics and only a few of them came out at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haley, Happy to!
    Kristy, I'm going to play with a few in Photoshop and see what I can do to improve them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are much better then what I could take! And I concur with Haley's comment! Might just have to come up there and invade on ya'll for like 4 days or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey jhenna road trip!!! How fun would that be if we drove together...I think we should all plan a vacation like that one day that would be a blast

    ReplyDelete